Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Celebrating creative, smart women who take charge of their lives, careers | March 2, 2009

Today, we start a month of occasional features profiling women as part of our celebration of Women’s History Month. We’re celebrating the originality, creativity and tenacity of women who take charge of their lives and walk boldly in careers using their gifts, talents and smarts. If you know of (or are) a woman who fits this description, e-mail the recommendation to me at monica@knowledgewealthseries.com. You could end up in a future feature.

Today, we feature Michelle Valentine, a writer using her gift to produce novels, a screenplay, freelance magazine articles and more. She was part of the 1990’s effort to revive the 1980’s dance group, The Covergirls, serving as lead vocalist and writer of the title track of their CD. Her novels include Insatiable and A Girl’s Gotta Eat. Her upcoming book, The Year It Snowed in April, will be released by St. Martin’s Press this fall.

She offers insight into the realities of book publishing and the challenges of the entertainment industry.

Q: Please tell us briefly about your journey to becoming a published author. Was it a difficult road or surprisingly easy? How did it happen for you?

A: I came into the industry pretty much in a “back door” kind of way. I had a friend, Yvette Hayward ― she’s actually a publicist ― and she used to put together what they call “sign & dines.” Well, she believed in me and was kind enough to put me on a panel as an unpublished author. I got a really good response. I met Eric Jerome Dickey at one of her events and he suggested that I send my manuscript to his agent. I did and she liked it a lot.

That’s how I got an agent. I didn’t send out a bunch of query letters like most writers do when they’re looking for an agent. However, I got my deal through another friend whom I also met at one of these events. I actually gave her the manuscript when it was still on computer paper. She liked it so
much that she gave it to a friend of hers. That friend happened to be Zane and she published my first book titled Nyagra’s Falls through her Strebor Books/Simon & Schuster imprint. The friend is actually another author by the name of Shonda Cheekes, and she has a new book titled Decoys, Inc.

Q: When did you know you wanted to be an author?

A: I’ve always had a knack for writing. Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve written poems, plays, short stories, songs, you name it. But when I was working at a law firm several years back, on my downtime at the office, I started scribbling a story that was to become my first real book. I was hooked on it after that.

Q: You also had a singing career. What was that like?

A: It was fun, exciting, somewhat stressful but an invaluable experience. I got to travel to places, do things and meet people that I otherwise never would have.

Q: What suggestions do you have for someone trying to launch a singing career?

A: Stay true to yourself, keep your priorities, learn the business and have a backup plan for when the spotlight fades ― because it always does.

Q: How did your upbringing prepare you for life as an entertainer ― as a singer and as an author?

A: I was extremely well prepared. My mother was a singer, and I was interested in the arts from a very young age. I’d won pageants and been on Sesame Street and all of this created traits in me that allowed me to stay grounded, determined and focused in an industry that thrives on people’s weaknesses.

Q: What is the biggest mistake you’ve made in your publishing career?

A: Thinking that being published by a major house automatically means success.

Q: What has been your biggest success as an author?

A: Getting accolades from my readers. It makes me feel great when somebody tells me that the words I’ve written have made them laugh, cry, happy, sad or even mad. I love being able to evoke emotion in others and touch them in some way.

Q: What is the biggest mistake new authors (or aspiring authors) make?

A: Thinking that the publisher is going to do all or even the majority of the work that it takes to get you on a bestsellers list.

Q: You’ve decided to form your own publishing company. Please tell us about that. Why did you make that decision?

A: My company is called The Epitome Group, LLC. The Web site is currently being constructed. I formed it because I know how difficult it is to get the major houses to publish you when you are a new writer. If I can help somebody get their foot in the door in a non-traditional way like I did, I’m more than willing.

Q: What will you offer through your company? Whom will you serve?

A: I’ll offer a great deal of insight and experience from a writer’s point of view. Since I’m a writer myself, I understand our special needs, shall I say ― that sometimes the non-creative powers that be can’t necessarily relate to. Plus my connections that I’ve made in the publishing world, of course.

Q: What is the biggest challenge facing you right now in terms of your career, life and work?

A: I’m really good at time management but lately it just seems that there aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Q: What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

A: Stay focused and complete the very best manuscript you can. Many people have a story to tell but not everyone can get it down on paper from beginning to end.

Q: Do you have any film projects on tap? If so, please tell us about them. If not, is film something you are interested in, why or why not?

A: Not right now. I had some interest in a screenplay I’ve written as well as in my sitcom. Everybody who reads my work seems to love it. It just hasn’t gotten into the right hands yet. I’m interested in it because movies and television are a natural progression for writers. Aside from seeing your name on a bestseller’s list, I’m sure there’s no better feeling than seeing your words acted out by a group of talented actors.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to add about your life or work that will help readers understand your journey and learn to navigate the literary and music worlds?

A: With hard work, determination and a good support team, you really can do it all as long as you believe you can.

Check out:
Michelle Valentine on MySpace