Monday, March 2, 2009

Can’t find the time to work out? Stop lying | February 11, 2009

Our lives are incredibly busy these days. But being busy doesn’t always mean we’re doing much of anything. A common excuse for not working out is that we don’t have the time. We’re sooo busy.

Really?

Are you lying to yourself or me? The truth is that none of us are that busy. Or, I take that back. Maybe we are that busy, but we’re really not doing anything that important. Can you honestly say that on a daily basis, you truly have no time to get a little movement going on?

I know, many people are parents, are in fast-paced careers and do lots of things. I’m not questioning whether you do lots of things. I’m just questioning whether every single thing you are doing day in and day out is all that important.

Trust me. I know the busy excuse. I run a business. Travel to speaking engagements. Write books. Develop new products. Cook dinner for a husband who likes good food. I get it. And on any day I can (and sometimes do) fall into the “too busy” routine. On any single day, any of us can find ourselves with too much to do and no time to exercise. But when that excuse stretches on for days and weeks, then something is not quite right.

Chances are, even with everything you have going on, you spend some time: Watching TV, chatting on the phone, hanging out on Facebook, shopping online, daydreaming about the life you really want, dishing the dirt around the water cooler, doodling, going out to eat, taking in a movie, cleaning the house, etc.

Am I saying any one of these things is bad? No. But what I am saying is any one of these things (and countless others) that take up time in the day can be replaced by or incorporate exercise. The point here is that you can find a few minutes in your day to work out — even the president does. And I know he has some important things on his mind.

Getting in a little movement several times a week is helpful, I don’t have to tell you that. But it doesn’t have to be something you use excuses to avoid. Find something you like doing — swimming, tennis, walking, racquetball, running. Me? I love tennis, so I make sure I fit that in a few days a week.

So really, the next time you tell yourself you’re too busy to exercise, stop kidding yourself. You’re not exercising because you have so much important stuff to do. You’re not exercising because you don’t want to. Stop making the excuses and start moving more.